Ford’s Tourneo Connect five-seat and Grand Tourneo Connect seven-seat people movers will offer customers new, more fuel-efficient engines and segment-first driver-assistance and connectivity technologies.
Ford is introducing the new high-efficiency 1.5‑litre TDCi diesel engine equipped with Auto-Stop-Start on the two Tourneo Connect models, delivering CO2 emissions starting from 111g/km and fuel economy from 65.7mpg* – a seven per cent improvement over the outgoing 1.6-litre TDCi engine. A diesel with Ford’s PowerShift automatic transmission is also available for the first time on Titanium models.
In addition, the two models introduce advanced new features to the segment including Traffic Sign Recognition and Lane Keeping Aid, and offer Ford’s voice-activated SYNC 2 connectivity system and innovative MyKey technology.
Designed for families and users with active lifestyles, the spacious, stylish and affordable Tourneo Connect and Grand Tourneo Connect have quickly grown in popularity since being introduced in late 2013. Ford sold more than 10,000 models across Europe last year, and in the first four months of 2015 over 600 units have been sold in the UK, an increase of 400 compared with the same period in 2014.
The two Tourneo Connect models, which offer outstanding flexibility from versatile seating, stowage and dual sliding side doors, are part of Ford’s new generation of Tourneo people movers including the eight/nine-seat Tourneo Custom.
“These spacious and versatile people movers are ideal for today’s busy lifestyles,” said Jim Baumbick, Ford’s global C-car vehicle line director. “Now customers can look forward to even lower fuel bills, plus amazing new technologies such as SYNC 2 connectivity that help to ensure drivers can keep their eyes on the road and their hands on the wheel.”
New diesel engines boost fuel efficiency and performance
The updated Tourneo Connect and Grand Tourneo Connect feature an all-new diesel line up with Ford’s new 1.5-litre TDCi engine in a choice of two power versions: 88bhp and 118bhp. Meeting the stringent Euro Stage VI emissions standards, the new 1.5-litre diesel has been optimised for improved fuel efficiency and performance.
Customers can also choose the 118bhp 1.5-litre TDCi diesel with six-speed PowerShift transmission which is available on Titanium models.
The five-seat Tourneo Connect also is available with the highly efficient, multi-award-winning 88bhp 1.0-litre EcoBoost petrol engine equipped with Auto-Stop-Start, which now meets Euro Stage VI emissions standards and achieves class-leading petrol fuel consumption of 50.4mpg and 129g/km CO2 emissions.
State-of-the-art technologies enhance driver confidence and connectivity
Sharing a global platform with Ford’s latest passenger cars, the new Focus and Kuga, Tourneo Connect and Grand Tourneo Connect are also able to benefit from advanced vehicle technologies:
- Traffic Sign Recognition provides the driver with the latest detected speed limit, cancellation signs and overtaking restrictions via the instrument cluster display
- Blind Spot Information System alerts drivers to situations when a passing vehicle is hidden in their blind spot zones on both left and right sides of the vehicle
- Lane Keeping Alert and Lane Keeping Aid work together to help to prevent the driver from unintentionally drifting out of a lane when driving at high speeds. If the forward-facing camera detects the vehicle is straying from its lane, Lane Keeping Alert warns the driver with a vibration in the steering wheel. If no action is taken to correct the drift, Lane Keeping Aid applies steering torque to guide the vehicle back into its lane
- Auto High Beam switches the headlamps automatically between high beam and dipped beam when it detects oncoming traffic or a vehicle ahead
- SYNC 2 features a high-resolution, 6-inch colour touch screen and enables advanced voice control of audio, navigation, climate control and mobile phones. Drivers are able to issue simple “one-shot” navigation destinations, and to ask the system to “play” a desired artist. Simply pushing the voice control button and saying “I’m hungry” will bring up a list of local restaurants, which you can then get directions to via the navigation system
- MyKey enables owners to programme a key – usually for younger drivers – that restricts the top speed and reduces the maximum volume of the audio system. MyKey can disable the audio system altogether if driver and passengers are not using safety belts, and can prevent the driver from deactivating safety technologies
Both models also offer automatic braking technology Active City Stop, with the five-seat Tourneo Connect achieving a unique-in-segment five-star safety rating from Euro NCAP.