Three decades on from the launch of Diesel Car, we celebrate the 30th anniversary of the original magazine dedicated to economy motoring. Diesel Car creator, John Kerswill, first discussed the idea of a journal specifically about cars that drink from the black pump in his local pub, and before the first pint had been consumed, the deal was sealed. Today we celebrate the momentous occasion with a big 148-page issue that looks back over the past 30 years.
We also take a look at the stars of the Geneva motor show, including the sharp looking Peugeot 508 Fastback detailed on the cover. Our testers have been putting the Audi A8, Skoda Kodiaq SportLine, Vauxhall Insignia GSi and Volvo XC40 through their paces, and driven the facelifted Kia Sorento. Nissan’s Qashqai is wheeled in to defend its all-conquering ability in the face of the Vauxhall’s Grandland X. Which one triumphs in our SUV shootout?
We’ve also been testing Renault’s Scenic with Hybrid Assist, got behind the wheel of the facelifted Ford EcoSport on UK roads and put the breathtaking Lexus LC 500h through its paces. Sue Baker has also been on a mission to drive Mazda’s new Skyactiv-X engine under the bonnet of a heavily modified Mazda3, ahead of its arrival in production guise in the next-generation medium car.
The April issue is also our car cleaning and valeting special, giving you all the hints and tips on spring cleaning your car. Chris Pickering meets a reader that owns a rather special Skoda Fabia that may look like a regular vRS but started out as a more mundane Comfort model and packs a punch of more than 400bhp!
We wave a fond farewell to our Citroën C3, MINI Countryman, SEAT Leon ST and Skoda Octavia Estate this month, in readiness for hot new metal arriving in our long-term car park the next issue. In our Buying, Selling and Maintaining section, we examine the changes to the MOT test, explore the Renault Captur 1.5 dCi in our detailed used car buyer’s guide and compare prices of diesel particulate filter cleaners.
- Audi A8 L 50 TDI Automatic
- Ford EcoSport Titanium 1.5 TDCi
- Kia Sorento GT-Line S 2.2 CRDi AWD Automatic
- Lexus LC 500h Sport Plus Pack
- Mazda3 SkyActiv-X prototype
- Nissan Qashqai Tekna+ 1.6 dCi
- Renault Scenic Dynamique S 1.5 dCi Hybrid Assist
- Skoda Kodiaq SportLine 2.0 TDI (190) Automatic
- Vauxhall Grandland X Sport Nav 1.6 Turbo D BlueInjection
- Vauxhall Insignia GSi Nav BiTurbo 2.0 BlueInjection 4×4 Automatic
- Volvo XC40 D4 AWD First Edition Automatic
Long-term test reports:
- Audi A5 Sportback S line 2.0 TDI ultra Automatic
- Citroen C3 Flair BlueHDi 100
- Ford Kuga Vignale 2.0 TDCi AWD Automatic
- Kia Stonic First Edition 1.6 CRDi
- Mazda CX-5 Sport Nav 2.2 AWD
- MINI Countryman Cooper D
- Nissan Qashqai N-Connecta dCi 110
- Peugeot 3008 Allure BlueHDi 120
- Renault Scenic Dynamique S dCi 130
- SEAT Leon ST SE Dynamic Technology 1.6 TDI DSG Automatic
- Skoda Octavia SE L 2.0 TDI
- 30 years of DieselCar
- Cleaning and valeting special feature
- Reader’s Drives – Skoda Fabia with 400bhp!
Used Car Buyer’s Guide
- Renault Captur 1.5 dCi (2013-on)
- News and views
- Legal i
- Doctor Diesel
- The Extra Mile
- Product Inspector
- Buying, Selling and Maintaining
- Modern Motoring Questions
- Eco Car Bright Spark