Every month we take an in-depth look at the used cars made by key diesel car manufacturers
Mercedes-Benz Brand Values
Possibly the most aspirational premium automotive brand, Mercedes-Benz has always led the way with a passion for design, technology and innovation. Desirability, safety, luxury and strong performance are at the heart of every Mercedes-Benz, and the company is working hard to reduce the impact of its automotive emissions on the environment. Between now and 2010, Mercedes-Benz has committed 14 billion Euros to research and development to ensure that it remains one of the world’s premium automotive manufacturers.
Mercedes-Benz Key Facts
• Annual new car sales: 82,321
• Annual Approved Used sales: 50,000
• Number of UK dealerships: 153
• Number of different models in the Mercedes- Benz range: 19
• Best-selling new car: Mercedes-Benz A-Class
• Best-selling used car: Mercedes-Benz C-Class
• UK market share: 3.4 per cent
• Percentage of new Mercedes with diesel power: 56.7
• Likely new models for 2009: Complete new range of diesel engine for E-Class and C 250 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY
• Did you know? Mercedes-Benz is the only automotive manufacturer to have been awarded Environmental Certificates issued by TUV for the environmental credentials of a car over its entire lifecycle.
Mercedes-Benz Approved Used Cars
Mercedes-Benz own Approved Used car scheme is one of the best in the business
Mercedes-Benz’s Approved Used car scheme has been around for many years and has evolved into one of the finest in the UK. As Simon Oldfield, Sales Director, Mercedes-Benz Cars explains: “Every car goes through a full multi-point check carried out by a specialist Mercedes-Benz Technician, and benefits from a minimum 12 month, extendable, unlimited mileage warranty.” In addition, every car is covered by a unique 12-month roadside assistance package and a lifetime’s roadside assistance cover if the vehicle continues to be serviced by an authorised Mercedes-Benz retailer. No other mainstream UK manufacturer offers this benefit.
“We also include MoT test failure cover” Simon stresses, “As well as a full vehicle history and mileage check, and our 30-day/1,000 miles exchange policy.”
Unlike some other manufacturers, many older and higher mileage vehicles are included on the Mercedes scheme – there are currently 247 vehicles over 50,000 miles, and 512 vehicles over four years old in the approved scheme. And note that Mercedes- Benz Direct sites also offer similar stock and benefits at near-identical prices.
• A multi-point vehicle safety and condition check • An extendable 12-month unlimited mileage Mercedes-Benz Approved warranty
• 12-month roadside assistance package (covers the lifetime of the car if serviced by Mercedes-Benz)
• MoT test failure cover
• A vehicle history and mileage check
• 30-day/1,000 miles exchange promise in case of a fault with your car
• Online used car search engine
Buying a used Mercedes-Benz
Mercedes-Benz are usually more expensive than other brands to buy, but often command better than average residual values. The most popular models – like the A, C and E-Class are made in very large numbers world-wide, with economies of scale making many parts no more expensive than those for non-premium brands like Ford and Volkswagen.
Mercedes-Benz were one of the first manufacturers to produce diesel cars, and all but the most sporting models now come with diesel engines – which tend to be refined, strong performers. Traditionally expensive main-dealer servicing has become a lot cheaper in the last year or so, although many Mercedes-Benz specialists can still undercut franchised-dealer labour rates.
One of the leading exponents of advanced diesel-engine technology, Mercedes will launch a new generation of BlueEFFICIENCY four-cylinder diesel engine in 2009, offering more power and torque than ever before for an engine of its size. This will meet not only the forthcoming Euro 5 emissions but also Euro 6 requirements as well. This engine will also power other models in the Mercedes-Benz range.