The all-new Renault Clio is now available to order, with prices starting at £14,295 and customer deliveries from late October. Diesel models start at £17,295. Officially revealed at the 2019 Geneva Motor Show, according to Renault, the fifth generation Clio “features the latest technological innovations and iconic style that have marked out its ultra-successful predecessors over the past three decades”.
Completely redesigned inside and out, the all-new Clio also continues Renault’s tradition for safety, having already been awarded a five-star EuroNCAP rating.
Following Renault’s simple EasyLife model strategy, the all-new Clio is available in Play and Iconic trim levels, as well as new S Edition and R.S. Line versions.
At the heart of the all-new Renault Clio is a totally new interior. One of the highlights is the option of new, larger 9.3-inch EASY LINK infotainment screen and a 10-inch TFT instrument cluster.
The ‘Smart Cockpit’ set-up, is made up of a 9.3-inch multimedia screen, standard on S Edition and R.S. Line and optional on the Iconic, plus a 10-inch TFT instrument cluster. The former features a portrait layout and is angled towards the driver, improving screen visibility and usability on the move. Included in the set-up is Renault’s EASY LINK connected system that bundles together all the multimedia, navigation, infotainment and MULTI-SENSE functions. The 10-inch TFT instruments are available as an option on R.S. Line and are fully configurable, allowing the driver to customise the display to include information sat-nav instructions directly in front of the driver.
Not only is the All-New Clio more luxurious than before, it also offers greater customisation with two separate Colour Touch packs that add either red or orange inserts for the dashboard, doors and centre console. On top of this is the availability of ambient lighting, which allows drivers to light the cabin in one of eight different colours.
There’s also more space in the new Clio, despite being 12mm shorter and 8mm lower than its predecessor. A new front seat design not only delivers more comfort and support, its carefully shaped semi-soft shell back liberates more legroom for those sitting in the rear. Elsewhere, boot capacity has been increased to a best in class 391 litres, plus the cabin itself boasts a further 26 litres of storage. A double height floor simplifies loading, while the rear seats fold down to provide a flat floor. The optional premium BOSE audio system has been carefully designed so that its subwoofer speaker does not encroach on boot volume.
There are several new paint finishes, including Valencia Orange and Celadon Blue. Valencia Orange tone offers “unprecedented depth and radiance thanks to a specific lacquer treatment that is a first in the automotive industry”. As with the exterior there’s the option of contrasting Colour Touch trim embellishments, with Red, Black and Orange inserts for the front grille, side protection strips, rear bumper and alloy wheels.
The Renault EASY LINK multimedia platform features on All-New Clio with either 7-inch or 9.3-inch touchscreens, both of them compatible with Android Auto and Apple CarPla. Featuring an all-new smartphone-inspired interface that is more user-friendly and functional, allowing users to customise various screens using widgets to directly access their favourite functions. With of 4G connectivity, there’s also access to constant round of updates and a wide variety of apps, including Google search functions, TomTom and Coyote.
Safety features include lane departure warning and lane keep assist, the former automatically primed at speeds more than 43mph (70km/h), the latter working between 43mph (70km/h) and 99mph (160km/h). Traffic Sign Recognition with speed alert is also included, as is cruise control with a speed limiter function. Active Emergency braking is also included and is bolstered by the latest cyclist and pedestrian detection functionality.
All models get autonomous emergency braking with pedestrian and cyclist detection, lane departure warning, lane keeping assist, road sign recognition and six airbags.
At launch the All-New Clio is available with three engines: two petrol and one diesel.
The Blue dCi 85 diesel gets a six-speed manual transmission and is capable of returning 78.5mpg. The 1.5-litre unit develops 162 ft lb of torque at 1750rpm.
From mid-2020 a new-generation hybrid powertrain will be available. Developed and patented by Renault engineering it combines a 1.6 litre petrol engine that’s mated to an innovative multi-mode gearbox and a pair of electric motors that are powered by a 1.2 kWh lithium ion battery. Combined with the high recharging capacity of the batteries, this makes it possible to drive around town and at low speeds in all-electric mode for around 80 per cent of the time. As a result, there is up to a 40 per cent improvement in fuel consumption compared with a conventional internal-combustion petrol engine during the urban cycle.
UK Specification and Pricing
There are four trim levels to choose from: Play and Iconic, plus all new S-Edition and R.S. Line. All versions of the All-New Clio come comprehensively equipped.
All-New Clio Play – diesels from £17,295
- Full LED headlamps
- Cruise control and speed limiter
- DAB radio
- Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) with lane departure warning, lane keep assist, autonomous emergency braking and traffic sign recognition
- Electric front windows
- Unique Flex 16-inch wheels
- Body coloured door handles and mirrors
- Driver’s seat height adjustment
- 2-inch multimedia screen features Bluetooth, DAB and a USB connection
All-New Clio Iconic – diesels from £18,295
In addition to Play:
- 7-inch EASY LINK multimedia screen with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto mirroring, plus satellite navigation
- Hands Free Key Card access
- Leather steering wheel
- Rear parking sensors
- 16-inch diamond cut alloys
- LED front fog lamps
- Dark tinted rear windows
Key options for the Iconic:
- 3-inch EASY LINK infotainment
- Convenience, Comfort and Parking Packs
- Exterior Colour Touch Pack that adds contrasting Red, Black or Orange trim inserts to the front grille, per bumper, side strips and alloy wheels
- Interior Colour Touch Pack adds the option of Red or Orange embellishments to the air vent and gear-lever surrounds
All-New Clio S Edition – from TBC
In addition to Iconic:
- 7-inch TFT instrument cluster and 9.3-inch EASY LINK screen
- Electric rear windows
- Climate control
- Automatic control of the wipers and headlamps (including high beam)
- 17-inch alloy wheels
- Shark fin antenna
- Light grey interior treatment
Key options for S-Edition:
- Exterior and Interior Colour Touch packs
- Premium Bose speaker upgrade
All-New Clio R.S. Line – diesels from £19,795
In addition to S Edition:
- Styling cues from Renault’s high-performance Renault Sport models
- Bespoke R.S. Line exterior and interior treatment
- 17-inch alloys
- Multi Sense driver modes
- A rear-view camera and front parking sensors
Key options for R.S. Line:
- Full 10-inch TFT instrument cluster
- Luxury Pack that adds heated leather seats
- Techno Pack, which adds wireless smartphone charging, hands free parking, 360-degree surround view parking and an automatic dimming rear view mirror